Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Avery


Avery Anniversary Ale - Eighteen
(Dry Hopped Rye Saison)

BeerAdvocate = B
Rate Beer = 85

I was first given this beer at the end of the night and had already shared a huge malty beer with a couple friends. I was not really in the mood for the malty beer that we had, and was more than ready to switch to a beer with some hops. I had not heard of this “Dry Hopped Rye Saison” and to be honest I did not even read the label. I did notice that it was Avery (kind of hard not to with the foil top and all), and was in the mood for anything. My first drink was a shock, wow – “this is a saison” I said. The next thing I noticed was the nice hop note that kicked in and followed by the rich character that the rye imparted.

I have had this beer a couple more times and can say, that in a nice glass, it has the best rye smell with a little of that un-baked bread tang. It has that typical saison color, hard to see through and a little amber. It also has the standard saison floral, banana citrus, and did I mention floral flavors. So, why not just buy the saison then? Because, this the standard saison doesn’t compare to this well balanced beer. Avery Eighteen almost lands a perfect 10, with the combination of hops, malt, and carbonation. Oh yea and the other thing, you can only get it once. Avery says that they will not be brewing this again.

Final note: Avery Anniversary Eighteen Dry hopped Rye Saison Ale…that is a long name. But there is something special about turning 18 and there is something special about this beer. I suggest you come in and buy this beer, then take it home and put it in the fridge and forget about it. Then when you remember to drink “that Avery beer”, I hope you will be a surprised and pleased as I was.

Cody DeHart

No comments:

Post a Comment